Public Records Requests

Information Transparency

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and its Divisions strive to provide transparency to the public by adhering to the requirements of Nevada Public Records Law NRS Chapter 239.

Public Records Requests

To enable DHHS to respond accurately and completely to requests, requests should be in writing. Requests for DHHS public information documents can be filed online through the GovQA Public Portal or via mail.


Click Here To Submit a Public Records Request through the GovQA Public Portal

Please note:

  • Requests should be as specific as possible and include the requester’s contact information
  • The Department will respond to the request within five business days
  • If the request cannot be fulfilled within five business days, the Department will provide written notice of that fact, let the requester know the earliest date and time it reasonably believes the record will be available, and may work with the requester to focus the request so the Department can respond as expeditiously as possible

Common Inquiries

Birth and Death Certificates

The Department's Office of Vital Records is the legal custodian of birth and death certificates filed in the State of Nevada from July 1, 1911, to the present. Birth and death records are confidential in Nevada and may only be released to a qualified applicant. Fees related to applicants of a birth or death record are set through Nevada Revised Statutes, more information on the fees and application process can be found through the Birth and Death Certificates for the State of Nevada website.

Adoption Records

Adoption Records in the State of Nevada are sealed and confidential records (NRS 127.140) and can only be accessed by a court order. A person would need to show “just cause” in petitioning to unseal their adoption records. When an adoptee reaches 18 years of age, they can request any non-identifying information available at the time of their adoption from their adoption files. Please email your request to

Marriage or Divorce Records

The Nevada Department of Health and Human Services does not create, receive or maintain marriage or divorce records. To obtain these records, you must contact the Nevada county where the marriage or divorce was performed. The Department's Office of Vital Records maintains a list of Nevada county contacts on its web page to assist members of the public seeking marriage/divorce records (information provided on this page is kept current as staff are able; in the event of incorrect information, contact the county of record directly).

Fees for Public Records

Per NRS 239.052, a government entity is permitted to charge a fee for the actual cost incurred in the provision of a public record. This includes, without limitation, the cost of ink, toner, paper, media, and postage.

Pursuant to NRS 239.052(2), the Department chooses to waive this fee except for the following exceptions:

  • Hard copy requests of 50 or more single pages
  • Postage costs
  • The media used to provide electronic records (e.g., thumb drive, discs)

The Department will inform the requester of any fees related to the request.

Fees List:

  • Black and white copies, up to 8.5” x 11”: $0.05 per page
  • Color, up to 8.5” x 11”: $0.50 per page
  • Compact Disc/DVD/Thumb Drive: $5.00 per device

Contact Information

Public Information Officer
Attn: Public Record Request
Department of Health and Human Services
Director’s Office
1000 North Division Street
Carson City, NV 89703