Las Vegas, NV August 02, 2023
Today, the Division of Welfare and Supportive Services (DWSS) has announced that the agency will now accept claims requesting replacement of stolen Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) benefits.
Effective July 31, 2023, the agency received approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Program to accept claims and provide replacement benefits for stolen Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) funds.
The program will review claims to replace funds lost due to skimming, cloning or other fraudulent methods.
Retroactive claim forms for benefits stolen from October 1, 2022, through July 30, 2023, must be submitted within 60 days. New claims forms must be submitted within 10 business days from the date the customer contacts DWSS to report EBT benefits stolen. Customers can report benefit theft at any district office, by phone, mail, or email.
The information will be reviewed by the Investigations and Recovery Unit and approved claims will have benefits replaced within approximately 30 calendar days.
DWSS suggests the following prevention tips to minimize the chances of being a victim of stolen benefits.
1. Use only the EBT Edge site or mobile application.
2. Freeze or lock your EBT card when not in use.
3. Change your PIN monthly before your benefit issuance date.
4. Avoid simple PINs such as dates of birth, part of your social security number or easily guessed PINs like 1234, or 9876.
5. Do not share your PIN with anyone outside your household and keep both your EBT card number and PIN a secret.
6. Do not respond to phone calls or text messages asking for your EBT card number or PIN.
7. Check your EBT account regularly for unauthorized transactions.
To contact the Division of Welfare and Supportive Services Investigations and Recovery Unit call 775-448-5211 (Northern Nevada) or 702-486-1875 (Southern Nevada), email email@example.com or visit any welfare office.
For information on how to apply for SNAP go to accessnevada.dwss.nv.gov